Thursday, May 29, 2008

Diapers...




Motherhood is great! Up until now I haven't had any complaints. How could I when I pretty much have the best baby around. She sleeps through the night (No kidding, at first I thought it was a fluke, but she's done it for about a week and a half now. I put her down around 10:30 PM, and she' up to eat again around 5:30 AM. What a doll!), she's a great little eater, and we haven't had any sickness or major issues (knock on wood).




The last week however, has brought a new challenge. I know that babies have blow outs. The kind that go up their backs, and get all over. But, this is happening 2-3 times a day! It's not just up her back either; it goes everywhere, down her legs, and up her front. I don't think that is normal, and I don't think it's Addison's fault either. Maybe I am wrong, and she has atomic poo, but I don't think so.

Last week, we went to Costco, and bought their Kirkland Diapers. We got 238 diapers for about $35. That's about 15 cents a diaper. At Target the other day, I bought my cousin some diapers for her shower, and they were $9.99 for 44 diapers, that's about 23 cents a diaper. So, obviously the Costco diapers are cheaper. But, is it really worth the 8 cent savings? I am starting to think that it is not. I am spending more money on laundry detergent, and stain remover, than I was with the more expensive diapers that didn't leak as often.


The point of this post is to solicit the help of all of the wonderful mothers out there that I know and love. I am sure you have some advice, tips, and opinions. Let me know what brand of diapers you prefer, a good place to get cheap diapers, and if you have had the same problem with the Costco diapers.

11 comments:

The Whitney's said...

Nat,
I don't buy things like this so sorry there is no advice. However, I bet she does have atomic poo and she might get it from her father and her uncle Adam.

Adam And Jessica said...

I personally use huggies myself....they are the best!!! I can crap myself and continue to play games for the next 2 hours with no leakage! -Adam

Nate and Alyssa said...

Until the boys were eating cereal I used Pampers Swadlers. I know they are way more expensive but it is way worth it to not have to deal with all the poo!!! Finny was a poo factory!! Any time that diaper came off out came the poo!! I also use, once they are older and eating food, the Walmart Parents Choice They are great!! And cheaper than the Sam's club diapers here. But, boys plumbing is different so it may make a difference there? Good Luck!! But, Pampers Swadlers are wonderful!!!!!

Tara said...

Nat, I loved this post! I have had so many problems with diapers, too! I don't think there is a diaper out there that fits a newborn well enough to contain it! It gets better when they get older. Adalyn had the "back-side mud-slide" and down the leg in her blessing dress minutes after her baby blessing concluded! That was fun!!! Good luck!

Katie Jo said...

Natalie I have found that you just can't use the cheep diapers!!! You know the old saying you get what you pay for? Well i believe that is true with diapers!!! I have found the best for me have been huggies diapers! They are cheaper if you buy them at costco then at target, but they are great! I think that you just can't go cheap when it comes to diapers! good luck with the messy diapers!!! It does get better when they start eating real food!

Suz said...

There are a few things that you cannot cheap on........toilet paper, tampons, and diapers. Luva smell like a wet dog. Go for the Huggies!

Adam And Jessica said...

Told ya...the Huggies Rule!!!!

Letzelter Family said...

ONLY HUGGIES! I am kind of crazy about it.

Katie Jo said...

i don't like the smell of luvs either suz!! I'm glad i'm not the only one!

Meghan said...

HUGGIES HUGGIES HUGGIES!!!! it is not worth saving $ when you are changing more often and being annoyed about poo all over the clothes. i know a little something about this - jane used to be queen o the blow out (at least one a day) because she has a tall bumcrack. she's over it, but huggies have a little band on the back that pampers and luvs don't. and they hold WAY more pee than others w/out leaking. get em at costco and use the silly $2 coupons they send in the mail.

but kudos for doing the math - never had, i am sure it would depress me...

Catmull's said...

You don't know me, but I was reading your blog and wanted to put in my newly learned 2 cents. Everytime my little girl poops out the back of her diapers it's because they are too small. it seems like diapers have to fit big to hold anything. I agree with the huggies statement. i love pampers myself. And I agree that Luvssmell bad. But maybe try a little bigger size.