Thursday, September 10, 2009

Prayers

I was talking to a dear friend the other day about prayer. This person mentioned that they really don't like prayer because it seems to them to be, "just a bunch of greedy children asking for more". That comment caused me to think... Although prayer is something I draw strength from, and find hope in, it sometimes can be just that, a chance for me to ask for more. There is so much tragedy around me, and it seems that we have somehow come out unscathed. People are losing babies, husbands, jobs, and I still ask for more blessings. I know that my prayers are being answered because I am blessed beyond words, but am I showing gratitude for my blessings, big and small??

The past few days I have given myself the challenge to just say, "I'm thankful for..." prayers. It has really put life into proper perspective for me. I am still being blessed with the "Heavenly Father, please bless me..." things, even without asking, but it's much more fulfilling for me to show gratitude for the myriad of blessing that are mine.

9 comments:

Paige said...

I am so happy you posted that. I will take your challenge as well. Thanks for adding more of the spirit to my day!

Meghan said...

wow. nice nat. i am in your same shoes and i need to challenge myself too.

Scott and Nicole albertson said...

Thanks for posting that. It was a great reminder for me :) We are so blessed!

Nate and Alyssa said...

Nat you are wonderful! Love you and your cute family!!

Jolene said...

Yep, I complain way too much and am far too selfish with my time. I needed the wake up call.

Suz said...

Great point. Thanks for the reminder.

James and Melissa said...

What a great reminder! That was just what I needed today. You are wonderful.

Jer said...

That's my girl! Way to remind your mom of what should be going on in her prayers too!

Iris said...

Very well said. Either my mom or sister always says "think to thank." It's amazing how grateful we are when we stop to think about all we have been blessed with.