Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What a Pain!

When I was 18 yrs. old, I had my wisdom teeth out. The procedure wasn't too bad, just what you would normally expect, swollen cheeks, and liquid food. I had no issues healing, and I felt fine after just a week or so. Well, a few months after, I got on a plane to begin my foreign exchange student adventure in Costa Rica for six months. Once we landed in San Jose, I knew that very night that something was wrong. My face had swollen up again, and I was in tons of pain. I wasn't sure exactly what it was, and was unable to communicate to my host Mom what was going on, so I just let it fester. It took about two weeks for me to finally decide that something needed to be done. I didn't trust the dentists there, so I tried to fix the mess myself. Lots of pain, puss, and blood later, the swelling went down, and life was back to normal...or so I thought.

Eight years later, I am still dealing with the after effects of my infected wisdom teeth wounds. Because of the infection, a pocket formed up over the back of my molars. Yesterday, I went to the dentist for hopefully the last time (for this issue). They went in and did a horribly painful procedure, and burned the gums back down to where they are suppose to be. The dentist starting burning before I was totally numb, and so they did 6 more numbing shots, and I was still feeling the pain. The Dr. was unable to figure out why I was still feeling the pain, but continued with the procedure anyway. I thought after giving birth that nothing would compare, boy was I wrong! My knuckles have never been so white. I have never sweat so much, or shed as many tears in twenty minutes as I did yesterday. Hopefully, things will heal normally, and quickly so that this traumatic experience can finally come to an end!

12 comments:

Suz said...

HOW HORRIBLE! I hate mouth pain. I hope you are done with such trouble.

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

Ouch, that sounds painful! Hope it heals quickly. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that! Addison's hair in pigtails is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I'm jealous...I think it might be another year before Ainsley gets enough hair to do that.

Jolene said...

I can't believe they let you do that. They should have put you totally out. I'm so sorry and I didn't even know. I would bring you dinner and tend you and the baby. You need to let me know these things so I can take care of you. I hope it's truly better now.

The Whitney's said...

All I can say is "OUCH!!" I didn't even know this about you! Let me know if you need me to come and take Addison away from you! I hope you start to feel better soon!

Scott and Nicole albertson said...

Ouch! Hope you get feeling better soon!

Nate and Alyssa said...

That is horrible!! I thought it was over in Costa Rica. Stupid teeth!! hope your mouth is doing better!! six shots and no numbness I am sorry!!

The Fisher's said...

I hate the dentist...the smell...the sounds...the price...all of it! Sorry, but I hope it finally gets all cleared up this time!

The Haslam Family said...

that sounds awful.
anyways, i reposted a couple of fuzzy pics of graduation nothing much. we are actually coming out to utah from the 28th of june to the 11th of july so there should definitely be time for fun in their somewhere. hope all is well, miss you too.

Meghan said...

GADZOOOKS! this is the worst thing i have heard in days. and i assure you, i am no stranger to dental work.mouth pain. i know its dang near a week later, but i hope you are back on the saddle again without any more issues.

Chelsea said...

Ouch ,that sounds terrible. Seriously, mouth pain is the worst!!! i hope you are all done with it all!

Tara said...

I feel a little sick after reading this post! I'm a wuss when it comes to pain, so I'm grateful that wasn't me! I hope this fixes the problem permantently!

The Fisher's said...

Aaron says you're an Anti-Dentite :) He liked that you tried to fix it yourself in Costa Rica though!