Saturday, July 7, 2012

Everyday Details

It's been awhile since I have posted about what goes on in our lives everyday, so I thought I'd write a bit to remember what we're up to in our lives now. Plus, we had an AWESOME lesson in YW about the importance of keeping a journal, and since this is basically my version of a journal, I figured I should update... Travis works at the University of Utah Hospital in the Medical Rehabilitation Unit. He has worked there for almost a year now, and loves it! A few months ago, out of the blue, his boss gave him a $1.50 raise just because she recognized the accomplishments he'd made within the clinic, and the good things he'd been doing. He's pretty brief when it comes to details about anything, so as far as I know, he is kind of like a Nursing Director over the other full time RN and all of the MAs. He works there Monday-Friday 8 AM - 5 PM. He also works for a Home Health Agency called Care Givers. When he first started working there, it was suppose to only be on call every other weekend, and Monday and Thursday nights. Lately, it has been more frequent. One of the full time nurses quit, so he filled in on a lot of her extra shifts that weren't covered. Now that they are again fully staffed, he seems to be back to the normally scheduled work with a few extra visits here and there. It's been a nice little job for him to earn quite a bit of money in a short amount of time with little effort. Travis is a great nurse. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe, because I don't really see the soft, sensitive, caring side of him. (which I above all people should see!) The other day I overheard him scheduling some of his home visits with his patients. I was surprised at how he was talking with the patient on the other end of the phone line. As he hung up, I grilled him a little bit, all the while knowing that his patient was a little old lady. I asked him who he was flirting with, and told him that I was jealous that he doesn't talk to me the way he was talking with her. He told me that the reason he gets paid the big bucks is because he makes the old ladies smile! He also said he likes to make them happy because it makes for a much easier visit! I really am not offended, and know that Travis has no other intentions but to make the old ladies happy! Travis is a hard worker, and I appreciate all of his efforts to support our family! Our girls love their Daddy! As soon as they hear the garage door open, they both run to the door to greet him with open arms! They love to "fly" with him, where he holds their feet in his hands, and balances them straight up in the air. They also love to tickle, and wrestle with him. I think their most favorite thing to do with him though, is to go four-wheeling in the Jeep up in the mountains. It usually makes both girls fall asleep as soon as we reach the off-road bumpy part, but they love it anyway! Travis is anxious for the camping season to start so that he can make his girls "tough". I keep telling him he needs a boy for that, but he insists we're done having kids, and is ready for his vasectomy today!
Travis is still diligent with his workout routine. Every night around 8:15 or so, he heads down to the treadmill to walk, while playing his favorite video games. His walks are brisk and all at the steepest incline possible. He comes up an hour later sweaty and stinky. He's lost quite a bit of weight, and says he's feeling great again. Travis and I have nearly been married 9 years. I can't even believe that it has been so long. There have been really rough stages, but despite those hard times, I am grateful each day for my husband and family. It always seems that the really tough times are followed by really sweet, wonderful times, and that the pattern just seems to repeat itself. We just got over the hump of an especially tough time, and through the tears and disappointment, Travis and I were able to better understand each other, what we need, and want, and what is best for our family. Even though at the time, the last thing you want to deal with is a marriage struggle, I know that we have to go through the rough to appreciate the smooth. I'm grateful for the challenges Travis and I go through because it makes me appreciate the little things, and forces me to grow, forgive, and accept. Travis is a good man, and I am grateful he is my man!
I starting working nearly full time for my Dad again last August. It's been great. Our girls went with Janelle full time for a few months, then went to Janelle 3 days a week, and Ashley Reed the other two, and then when Janelle had Wyatt, we started taking them to KinderCare full time in March. Although it is expensive, it's been good for them. I looked into and researched a lot of other places, some cheaper, some more expensive, (imagine that..even more expensive than what I pay now), and KinderCare felt like the right fit for them. They focus on learning, and they're very hands on. I've been impressed, and both of my kids like going there..that says something, right! My days are busy working, loving on my girls, mom duties, like cleaning, laundry, and cooking, which thankfully is only once a week, because of our awesome meal rotations, and with Young Women's. I am the Second Councilor, over the Beehives. Young Women's is a fun place to be, and we have great girls, and awesome leaders, but it takes a lot of time!
My girls are wonderful! They love each other (mostly), love going to 'school', and really love playing outside, and riding bikes. Sometimes we have crazy moments, that make me want to rip my hair out, sometimes even quit, but mostly, they make me smile, laugh, and thank Heavenly Father for them each and every day! What can I say, life is good...

No comments: